Thursday, 25 April 2013

Radish Salad and Paneer in white sauce

Hope you all had a great Thursday and are looking forward to a wonderful weekend!
It's been quite sometime since I posted about my cooking.

Last evening I happened to return home a bit early , so I decided to make something that I don't, very often. Thanks to the Bangalore summer and the extremely annoying power cuts, 2 packets of milk got spoilt this week. I was feeling very guilty to throw such large quantities of milk and I decided to make "Paneer"(Indian cheese) out of it.  

I've been on this chapathi making spree since a few weeks, trying to avoid rice in the evenings ;-)
Paneer in Tomato gravy is quite common, so I tried my hand at Paneer in white sauce.

White sauce is a very simple recipe which can be made with milk or cream and can be used with a variety of vegetables, pasta, paneer etc.



Here's the recipe for my quick side dish:

Ingredients: this is for 2 people
Paneer - 15 cubes (I used home made, so not sure of the grams)
Almonds, cashew and raisins - 10-15
Milk   -   1 cup
cornflour  - 2 tsps
Freshly ground Pepper powder - 1tsp
Origano(optional)  - 1/2 tsp
Butter/oil - 2 tbsp
salt to taste


Procedure
Heat butter/oil in a pan . Add cashews, raisins and coarsly crushed almonds. 
Add milk to it and let it boil lightly. 
Mix corn-flour with little water/milk and add to the pan. Mix well immediately to avoid formation of lumps.
The sauce will thicken in a min or so. Add salt, pepper powder and origano. 
Shallow/deep fry the paneer to turn the surface light brown. Add to the sauce and garnish with coriander. 
Give a standing time of around 15mins for this dish, to help the paneer absorb the flavour.


After having made this simple dish, I realised I had energy and even time left for another quick side dish. 
I made radish kosambari (salad in Kannada). Got this recipe from my sister in law. I've just garnished it with peanuts.



Ingredients
Radish -  2 grated
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Green chilli - 2 finely chopped
Coriander leaves -  finely choppped
Salt to taste

For the seasoning:
Oil - 2tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Peanuts  - 15 in number

Procedure:
Mix all ingredients except salt. Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard and cumin seeds, wait till they splutter. Add asafoetida, then peanuts. Mix with a spoon to fry them evenly. when peanuts turn slightly dark in colour, add ural dal. wait till urad dal also turns light brown in colour.
Add this to the grated radish.
Add salt just before serving to prevent the dish from becoming watery.





I served it with phulkas and it tasted yumm!!
I'll be posting something very exciting in my next post. Any guesses ??? okay.... Its my new thread collection :-)

Till I post again!
Bbye

3 comments:

  1. Very tempting.Vrry Good. Iam proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked both your recipes - they look very inviting. Will surely try the radish salad.

    ReplyDelete