Friday, 7 November 2014

Knitted 'bumble bee' baby set

As promised I'm back with a knitted baby set.
A few months back, I embarked on what I'd regard as a major challenge, a knitted baby set!!! This was going to be a gift for my sil who was expecting a baby.
Though the effort is the same, crocheting a baby set is anytime easier for me, as I don't have to fear dropped stitches. Well , I decided to embrace my fears and I believe I have done a fairly good job! what do you think ? (I learned to pick up dropped stitches as well ) :-)

My initial thought was to just knit the sweater and maybe add a flower/some motif to embellish it. But I don't settle for simple... A glutton for punishment!!! yup.... That's what my husband calls me :-) Quite right he is.


I decided to learn "Swiss darning", also known as duplicate stitch in knitting. I found THIS image on google(guess it's used in cross stitch), and started experimenting. A couple of things to keep in mind while Swiss darning:
1.  Maintaining symmetry across the stitches.(Count them before you start)
2. Tension on the thread/yarn should also be optimum to prevent the original knitted stitch from showing up.






It was indeed time consuming, but looked beautiful at the end.



I knitted this beanie in the round using DPNs. Its a 2X2 ribbed stitch pattern. Instead of a pom-pom , I chose to add curlicues to the beanie. Aren't they cute?


The booties also needed a mix of black , so I added a black tie-string to it.







Few weeks back, I received this very useful tool , a "yarn winder" by mail and I'm totally smitten to it. 
I've made many cakes of yarn since then  :-) We don't get this in India and how I wish we did. Actually swifts are more useful than the winder as most of the yarn in India is sold in hanks. I used to loop the hank around my legs(most Indians do this) and wind the ball. Sitting in that position with the hank around your legs is very tedious and can cause cramps sometimes. 



I feel so bad to see my mum do this everytime she buys yarn. Next time I visit India I plan to gift her a swift and a winder. It makes life so easy, and there are so many crocheters and knitters in India who would find this extremely useful. 
Pony craft store is a very popular Indian craft store which manufactures and sells all the crochet hooks/ knitting needles/ accessories except for yarn swifts and winders. I've mailed them and made a suggestion to think about manufacturing these. Lets see when it happens. 




Pattern info:
Knitted beanie pattern(I seem to have forgotten which pattern I used, Will update link soon)
Knitted booties pattern(Will update soon!!)

Have a great weekend!!
Till I post again!
Ranjitha
xxx

8 comments:

  1. The little set is adorable perfect for a little one. I love my winder I would be lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so love the bumble bee set.... So pretty! Been trying my hands on knitting but haven't quite made a satisfactory project yet.. Lol
    Have a great weekend....
    Hugs,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely knitted piece.
    hey yarn winders are available in bangalore.
    I got one from Ramdev stores in Chikpet in Bangalore.
    I heard it is available in chennai also in Raja stores T-nagar.
    Hope you can get one for your mom locally.
    I used to handwind my yarn for long time( 3 yrs :-) ) and purchased this tool recently for 550/- Rs.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sangheetha, Thank you very much for your comment. Where exactly is this Ramdev stores ? Can you give me some landmark or name of some other store close to it? I'm not able to find the address of that shop in the net.
      Any info would be great.
      Thanks a lot!! :-)
      Ranjitha

      Delete
  4. It is a lovely knitted piece.
    hey yarn winders are available in bangalore.
    I got one from Ramdev stores in Chikpet in Bangalore.
    I heard it is available in chennai also in Raja stores T-nagar.
    Hope you can get one for your mom locally.
    I used to handwind my yarn for long time( 3 yrs :-) ) and purchased this tool recently for 550/- Rs.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is so adorable and cute! You did a great job knitting it and the color yarn is just so bright and cheery! I have a yarn wonder same as your that was given to me at a knitting group I used to belong to. I don't know how to use it but I guess I could look it up on YouTube. Have a nice day and week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The knitted baby set is so adorable! love the way you've made the beanie and shoes to match the bumblebee theme.. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and adorable ! I nominated you here for an award : http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/2014/11/liebster-blog-award.html.
    See you !

    ReplyDelete